Saturday, July 28, 2012

Anointing of the Sick

On Thursday morning, I received one of the Holy Sacraments, the Anointing of the Sick.

My hospice team found me Father David of St. Mary's. He was wonderful. I told him a little part of my story. I cried a little.

(Earlier that morning, as I reflected on what my expectations were for this appointment with Father, I realized that I was nervous! I decided not to be nervous. Instead, I would just follow Father's directions and let my heart and head both get whatever they needed.)

Father David explained the sacrament. What I took away was that the Holy Spirit would bring me strength and peace from Jesus, and absolution from God for all my sins.

I was very happy to be receiving total forgiveness for all my sins.

During the actual anointing process, tears streamed down my face. It was really a lovely experience. Then I received Holy Communion.

Of course, we sat in the sunroom. Talk about starting a room off right! Two sacraments in one day.

I mentioned to Father David that the room was being re-decorated and would be finished at the end of August. I got to articulate that my excitement was happiness in knowing that Lou will use this room for years and years, in maximum comfort and style, for conversations with friends, quiet contemplation of the different views of the golf course, reading books, and whatever else he comes up with...

6 comments:

Tinalynne said...

So awesome in so many ways.

Drake said...

I agree with Tinalynne! I especially love your response to your nervousness--letting your hear and head do whatever was needed. Awesome! All awesome!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a very touching experience. I'm so glad your hospice ladies are looking after you in spirit and in body.

Hugs,
Meredyth

Jenn said...

Beautiful post, Karen. What a powerful experience. Wishing you peace and happiness today. Love jenn

Anonymous said...

God has blessed you in many ways this week, but YOU have blessed so many of us while reading your blog each day this week. The sunroom is so awesome! Hope the week ahead is good for you & Lou. xoxoxox Jane

Anonymous said...

So Beautiful: Thank You for Sharing! I got to do this with my Dad and pray for Him and My Mom with the Priest. Love You So, Sharon from Bellevue, WA xoxo