Friday, March 4, 2011

Very

When I left my room this morning to go for a walk, I noticed a new sign on the door.  The door is where they post all kinds of interesting info about the patient, as a last-minute reminder to every provider as they walk in:  special diet, wear a mask, stuff like that.

I asked my nurse what Special Heme meant, and she said it means that when they take my blood, they can use my port.  Interesting.  That sign was not on the door during cycle 1 three weeks ago.

Hmmm, I can see where these chemo-hospital-stays might start to be like cruises --- in that after a few cruises, we found ourselves always talking about how some particular aspect (breakfast, entertainment, balcony chairs, whatever) of this cruise was better or worse than that other cruise...  It got to be a drag and maybe a little boorish so we made ourselves stop doing it.

What's the point of all this?  Later on, when Lou and I came back from a walk, I saw that someone had handwritten in the word Very on the sign.  Very Special Heme. Awesome!

Every time I see it, I smile.  I am Very Special, probably because of the yummy Girl Scout cookies that I presented to the nurses when I first arrived.  Peanut Butter Patties and those fancy Thanks-A-Lots that are chocolate-dipped shortbread with "Thank You" in a few different languages.

No comments: