Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day Three, Retrospective

Man, it is a lot harder to write these after some time has passed and all the details have faded!  But I was really tired and unable to blog till now.  I guess I am having a Decadron surge of energy.  Plus so many people have called and emailed and posted to Facebook, I figured that I had better get the word out that I am OK.

I was WIDE AWAKE again at 4:00AM on Saturday.  I had a lot of energy and was surfing the web with the hope that the next day (Sunday) I would get a gift card for my birthday from Lou, and I wanted to be ready to buy something.  I know, I am hopeless.

I showered early again and got to Starbucks at about 6:30.  I tried a tall decaf mocha with only one pump of chocolate, with whipped cream, yum.  The same lady took my order every morning, so we were old pals by now.

I had my third dose of chemo at 10:30, on schedule, because my nurse Lindsay was on a mission to get me home on time. For this dose, they gave me Compazine via the IV before the chemo, and I think that made a world of difference.  I did not get nauseated, which was a miracle.  (I did get nauseated on Friday afternoon, after my second dose, which was sort of upsetting, but they gave me Compazine and it worked.)  I was really really sleepy.

Lou and Brent arrived at about 11:00. I was really drowsy and spent a lot of the time lying in bed listening to them talk with my eyes closed.

But at 5:00 approached, I woke up.  Lou basically packed up the room for me, I got dressed, and we were discharged at an amazing 5:00PM!  Doane picked us up at 5:30.  On the way home, she swung by our favorite Chinese restaurant on the way home for takeout dinner.

Lou and I had a nice evening at home.

I woke up a million times that night, and probably woke Lou up every time.  But it was so great to be home early.  Too bad we can't count on that schedule every time.

No comments: