Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day Two, Retrospective

I was wide awake at 4:00AM on Friday. 

The nurse wrapped my port and IV connector in Saran Wrap and let me take a shower, so I was shiny and sweet smelling when I showed up at Starbucks when it opened at 6:00AM.  I got a decaf latte, because with the Decadron I definitely need no caffeine.

I don't really remember what else I did that morning!  I think that I went to sleep from about 8:00 to 10:30, and then Julie came to visit me from 11:00 to about 12:30.  We had a great visit, and I remember laughing a lot but no idea at what.  I remember talking about Harries Teeter (our grocery store).

I think that I read a million email messages from the leimyosarcoma listserv that I finally got on.  I am just lurking for now; not ready to introduce myself or post. The first message I read a couple weeks ago, some guy was saying that the only way to deal with leiomyosarcoma was surgery, and that upset me, so I didn't do anything but let the email messages pile up for awhile till I got over that.  I'd like surgery, but once it is in multiple systems, no one wants to do surgery.

Anyway, the email messages I read on Friday were full of people getting chemo and useful and heartwarming.  But I am still lurking.

Alice, Jose, and Dan came to visit from 5:00 to 5:45 and AGAIN I laughed a lot.  Alice brought me a cute balloon with a doggy face and Thinking Of You on it.

I have no idea what I did after they left.  I know that I was fast alseep by 8:00PM.

I know at some point on Friday I arranged with Doane to come pick us up at the hospital on Saturday at 5:30PM, becaused we were sure I would be getting out that early.  I was so happy that I would be able to go home on Saturday, instead of having to wait till Sunday morning.

I think I am lucky that Anya caught a cold and could not visit me because having two sets of visitors on Friday was exhausting enough.  Three sets of visitors (no matter how charming) would have been too much.

1 comment:

Drake said...

Karen--I am so glad you did not miss me. :) And, yeah for the good birthday...I was thinking about you all weekend!