Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Twenty Years Ago Today

Twenty years ago today, I went on my first date with Lou.

We met through a "dating newspaper." (There was no internet dating back in the stone ages.) Lou had actually responded to my best friend's ad, not mine, but I found his letter in her stack and asked if I could have him. (Our ads were exactly the same, except she had long blonde hair and I had short red hair.)

Lou and I talked on the phone a few times and decided to meet for dinner at a Chinese restaurant called Cheng Du in Westboro, Massachusetts. Then as a surpise, he took me to a coffeehouse to listen to a folk music band called Schooner Bay.

I remember that I had a great time, even though I nearly caught fire after accidentally eating a hot red pepper from the General Tso's Chicken. We were both in computers, and it was really awesome to talk to someone who understood what I did at work.

After that first date, though, Lou threw away my phone number. (He didn't tell me that for a long time.) But I called him back, and I guess it was meant to be, because we are still together today. I am so lucky to be married to such a great guy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and Lou is lucky that you followup on things...:) congrats to both of you tho'...Mr. S. xxoo

Anonymous said...

I firmly believe that eveything happens for a reason and the universe does not make mistakes. Destiny is something we all take for granted, but there are powers greater than us that rule.
As always, you are in my Ts & Ps
Love to you both and Happy 20!!!!

cara said...

Amazing! Andy and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary next week (Feb 16 is the actual date). It takes a lot these days to keep a marriage (or any relationship) going so this says a lot about both of you.

Karen - You're in my thoughts and I'm praying and hoping you beat this cancer completely!!!

Much love,
Cara (in Cary after Seattle and California ;>)