Friday, May 6, 2011

Rationing My York Peppermint Patties

If you have been reading this blog, you know that during chemo I am a delicate flower who gets nauseated when the nurse flushes my port with saline.

Last chemo weekend, I discovered that if I put a mini York Peppermint Patty in my mouth, then not only do I not get nauseated, I can't even tell if the flush has occuured yet. (For every other candy I tried, I could still taste the awful flush underneath whatever fruity flavor I was trying, which usually stopped the nausea from catching hold.)

Anyway, I might not have enough mini YPPs to get me through the weekend!  I have six and a half left. I started using only a half yesterday when I realized there was a shortage. Amazingly, a half works just as good, but I do have to time it correctly, because a half melts away faster than a whole.

Another way that I am conserving YPPs is that if they come to take my blood, I ask them to stick me in the arm instead of using my port. The lady who did it last night was totally awesome; i hardly felt the needle at all.


So I have to go shopping for a new bag of YPP before Chemo Weekend 6.  Somebody remind me...

I slept really well last night, despite being woken up numerous times. I just kept falling right back to sleep. And it was a good rest, because today I am cheerful and optimistic again.  (Yesterday I was experiencing some self pity and reluctance to receive chemotherapy.)