Thursday, April 7, 2011

Occasional and Transcient Side Effects

There are a couple of side effects that I don't talk about much because I really do not like them.

Luckily, they are both occasional and transcient. (Thank God they only happen every now and then, and do not last long, or they would drive me and everyone around me insane.)

So what are they? Difficulty speaking and a lack of emotional control.

Yesterday was a case in point. I have been waiting for months for laundry room cabinets, and finally yesterday they were professionally installed. At first, everything looked perfect. But in the evening, while I was dusting them and adjusting the shelves, I saw a few flaws and a little damage. I became upset, way out of proportion, and overwhelmed with feelings that the entire job was a fiasco and that the cabinets were crap and that nothing is ever as nice as it ought to be.

Then poor Lou wandered in and innocently asked how things were going. When I tried to explain it, I had a really hard time describing the damage to Lou.

The interesting part is that when I sent email to the salesman (who had sent email asking how the install went), I had no difficulty at all making a calm and reasonable list of problems and suggested solutions. It's like, the difficulty in communication applies only to verbal communication.

Anyway, my upset feelings soon passed. Now I am just calmly waiting to hear back from the salesman to see what we can do to fix the damage. And I love the cabinets anyway.

__________

Maybe you are thinking about how Ifosfamide can cause neurologic toxicity and delusions, and you are worried that that is what is happening but I don't realize it. Thanks for worrying about me, but I do not think it is that. There are no rabbits hiding in the new cabinets. And I have had these same two side effects every time I have gotten chemo, in varying degrees of seriousness.

No comments: