Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Two, Six, Fifteen, and Twenty

Let's run through some interesting numbers:

2 cm = the size of the mass in my psoas muscle.

6 hours = the length of time we spent at UNC yesterday from start to finish.

15 cm = the depth they had to go to get to the mass.

20 gauge = the size of the needle they used for the biopsy.

The biopsy was interesting and not really awful at all. The local anesthetic injection was probably the most painful part. I was on an IV with "conscious sedation" so I didn't feel much more than occasional pressure and a complete lack of anxiety.

I was on my stomach on the bed part of the CT machine. They sent me into the machine to locate the mass. Then they pulled me out to mark the spot and insert the needle part way. Then they sent me back in to see how close they were to the mass. Then they pulled me back out so they could insert the needle further... I went in and out of the CT machine a lot, but it didn't occur to me to try to keep count.

Anyway, they got a good sample and we should hear tomorrow what it is.

Today, I feel fabulous and am enjoying my last day of vacation. My lower back is a little sore and stiff. Patsy got a lovely new hairdo by Renee at the EnV salon in Apex. Later we are going to the fabric store to get some fabric and a pattern so I can sew myself a skirt with my excellent sewing machine that my friends at work gave me in December. So life is good.

6 comments:

dan g said...

How can I encourage the encourager? Iam always encouraged by your love and kindness toward other people.You have been a great mentor for me. I cannot tell how much you have enriched my life. Thank you for being my friend and being such a great example to me and many others.
Dan G.

Drake said...

Karen--I think you should work from home! :-) But we do miss you!! Anya and the sewing machine gang

Anonymous said...

No wonder they had to reposition you countless times. 2cm isn't a big target. (The smaller the better though...) Those PET scans are amazing.

I like your friends T's and P's, well you know you are in my T's and P's too! Glad you feel so good so far. Lots of love, Kathy A

cara said...

Hi Karen. You sound like you are navigating this journey with incredible calm and focus.

I'm equally impressed that you can sew! I always wanted to learn and own a machine.

Know you are in our thoughts.

Cara, Andy & Theo

Anonymous said...

OMG I have been asking around for months- if anybody had a sewing machine and could sew. Now I know.
Hope you and Mom are having fun.
See you Thursday.
Keeping you in my T's & P's.
Love ya
Doane

Anonymous said...

Karen,
Your blog is excellent! Janet's been keeping me in the loop but reading about your experience has made this much more intimate. Hope and optimism are very powerful- Keep it up -Laughter is really the best medicine.
"Did you know, laughing heartily 100 times a day gives the same cardio results as working out for 20 minutes!" Beats walking 10,000 steps
www.webmd.com/video/laughter-heals
Laugh a full belly laugh when ever you can :-)

Love ya

Pauline C