Saturday, May 9, 2009

Karen's Cancer Backstory

In January of 2007, I had a hysterectomy because I had lots of girl trouble caused by lots of fibroid tumors. Fibroid tumors, nothing to worry about! But when the pathology report came back, it said that they had also found a huge leiomyosarcoma embedded in the wall of the uterus. Oooh, bad news. But at least it had already been removed.

So I did chemo from February of 2007 to June of 2007.

The July 2007 CT scan and a bone scan showed no sign of the cancer! Yippee!

I started getting chest x-rays at 3 month intervals, and they showed no sign of the cancer...

In October 2007, I had fabulous laparoscopic surgery to repair a hernia from the hysterectomy.

My regular chest x-rays continued to show no sign of the cancer.

The party finally ended on April 4, 2009, when the regular chest x-ray showed "a spot" that the oncologist did not like. So they sent me for a CT scan. The April 23, 2009, CT scan showed four nodules on my lungs, two on the right and two on the left. The best thing to do with leiomysarcoma is to get it out of there as quickly as possible.

That is where we are at now: getting ready for surgery.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Karen. Wishing you the best in this journey. I have always appreciated your humor. I am so pleased it is continuing to grace you! Much love,

Helen Gmazel, (The gratitude list.)

Anonymous said...

Karen, your attitude is amazing. I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts. If you do whistle when you laugh, go for something with a bouncy melody. Take good care.

Marie Friederichs

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen, you bring a positive attitude to our GSR meetings and I enjoy your being there for the fellowship. Take care, Jeff Hathaway.

Unknown said...

Im thinking about you so much. Sending all the good energy I can your way.
Angela H

Anonymous said...

Hello Karen,

Sending you positive thoughts!

Positively,
Mags

Jan Cleveland said...

Karen, not sure you remember me, I'm a friend of your Aunt Frankie. She's been keeping us up-to-date on how you're doing.

Just wanted to wish you well and know that there are a lot of people out there pulling for you.

You will be in my prayers until you beat this thing. Attitude plays a big part and I'm glad yours is so good.

Blessings from MA.

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Just wanted to send lots of love and all the best wishes your heart can hold right now.

Keep smiling...there will always be that one person who will be scratching their head!

Love to you!
Robyn Denson

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

Warmest wishes. Stay positive! We have to talk sometime soon on the phone and catch up. I think of you often.

Love,
Donna Lane-McPartlan

Nancy Hussa said...

Karen,

I missed you so much at Assembly. Tears did flow when I heard the news. I have grown very fond of you and your infectious bubbly vibrant attitude. I wish I could do more than be just a cheerleader. Being powerless is often painful, especially in situations like this and watching someone to through something difficult. You are clearly loved and treasured by many. Hopefully, the positive feelings that generates for you helps pull you through, even for a moment.

Hugs,
Nancy