Sunday, December 11, 2011

Let's Hope THAT Never Happens Again!

This morning, Lou and I had plans to go to breakfast with Pat and John from next door. We were headed to Brig's, where you are practically guaranteed an awesome breakfast. John was driving. I was in the back seat. We missed a turn and ended up zig-zagging through a neighborhood under construction. Zooming down one street, making sharp cormers... We could see where we needed to go, but we kept running into dead ends.

Suddenly I was overwhelmed with car sickness. I said something to that effect, and John pulled over immediately. Luckily we were in an area where no houses had been built yet. I popped out of the car and stood by the side of the road for a few minutes, fighting the nausea. Everyone got out of the car. I kept saying, "I think I'm okay," and then I power barfed onto the undeveloped lot. Luckily, all I had in my stomach was water. Someone handed me some paper towels.

Nothing like a public vomitation!

I felt much better right away, and we got back in the car, this time with me in the front passenger seat. Pat gave me some cinnamon gum, which tasted pretty good. We almost immediately found our way onto the main road and continued to breakfast without further incident.

Gosh, I hope nothing like that ever happens again!

For years, I have been prone to mild car sickness, but I have never even come close to barfing. I'm thinking that maybe being on this chemo might have made me more susceptible to the nausea. Who knows.

Anyway, the real news for this weekend is that my back and left leg are much worse. I have been fighting off pain all day and all night. (Until recently, I was in pain only at night.) I can't sit, and I can't lie down. I can stand -- but standing up is not giving me immediate relief from pain anymore. And it's hard to think straight, hard to focus. This afternoon, I could not read, and I could not watch TV.  Darn. That drove me especially crazy because I have a new nonfiction book that I wanted to make some headway on this weekend: Blah Blah Blah: What To Do When Words Don't Work. Anyway, I can't go on like this. I am calling Dr R tomorrow morning because I need some help to make this pain go away. I am actually blogging right now because I could not stand another minute in bed, and I can take another dose of pain medication at midnight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Sorry. Praying!!! xoxo from Sharon in Bellevue, WA

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you are in such pain! Hope the doc has a great solution for you. Love, CQ