Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Not Too Sick for Chemo

Hey, I got my last dose of Doxorubicin today!

The day started with some trouble. I waited a half hour for a nurse to access my port and draw blood for the labwork (too many patients, not enough nurses) and then the poor woman could not get blood return from my port.  Saline went in just fine, but no blood would come out.  She fooled with it a bit, then quit.  There were too many people in the waiting room for her to keep fooling with my port.  So she walked me through a maze of corridors to a different department, where another nurse used a needle to get blood out of my arm the old fashioned way.

I had a nice chat with Dr R, but my bloodwork was not back, so he could not say whether I would be getting chemo.  He sent me off to the cafeteria for a coffee with the promise that he would phone my cell if I was not getting chemo.  I never got a call, and then I got paged to go to the treatment room to get chemo.

When we got to the treatment room, I warned the nurse there that my port was acting temperamental.  But you know what?  It worked just fine for her!  She got great blood flow immediately.  What a relief.  So I got my last dose of Doxorubicin with no trouble at all.

Lou is listening to a book on tape about the richest 400 people in the world, and he kept shutting it off and telling me some interesting tidbit, like how four of the top five richest people never graduated from college.

Anyway, we zoomed home and ate leftovers for  lunch. Then Lou went to work and I flopped onto my bed and slept for two hours.

I'm awake now and heading out to the pharmacy for some drugs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Hugs, Sharon