Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dumela, Mma

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency discs have started arriving via NetFlix. I love the books, love love love the books! Alexander McCall Smith is a genius!  The TV show is very good, and I am enjoying it a lot, but Mma Ramotswe on TV is a little different than Mma Ramotswe in my head.  She seemed more calm, more serene, when I read her.

I am lucky right now. I have some NetFlix discs to watch, my class on Ancient Egypt to watch, and four new books to read:

  • The Woods by Harlan Coban
  • Back Spin by Harlan Coban (Number 4 in the Myron Bolitar Series)
  • Killing Floor by Lee Child
  • The Beach House by Jane Green
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

I finally finished Laura Bush's memoir! I am really glad I read it, and I loved most of it.  I admit I sort of skimmed the last quarter of the book. It seemed as though the author ran out of steam, and the last quarter didn't have any emotional impact. It was like, "then I did this, and then I went here, and then I talked to these ladies about this..."  (I hate to say that, because I would not want to dissuade anyone from reading her book.)  So, I'll tell you again, I loved most of this book. It made me laugh. It brought tears to my eyes many times. I even learned a lot.  It just did not end that strongly.  Part of that is probably me!  I really struggle with nonfiction and often rely on an airplane flight to force me to finish a nonfiction book.

1 comment:

Karen said...

The Beach House by Jane Green was so bad that I actually threw it in the trash. I did not even want to abandon it somewhere in the hope that someone would enjoy it.

Killing Floor by Lee Child is so good I stayed up till 2:30AM reading it. Have not done that in a million years.