Sunday, October 25, 2009

Who is Your Nurse?

The treatment room was super busy on Super Chemo Day, and I finally got called at 3:00PM (my appointment was for 12:30).

My nurse asked if I wanted to have a bed instead of a recliner. I knew that I would be getting chemo for like three hours and figured a comfy adjustable hospital bed would be delightful -- an opportunity to go out in style since I am hoping that this is my last chemo treatment for awhile.

So I get the bed, I get hooked up, everything is going fine... and then the machine starts beeping because it is time to change the bag of drugs. Some random nurse comes over and asks (like they always do) "Who is your nurse?" and for the life of me I have no idea. Usually I read the name off the badge. Usually when I first get into the treatment room the nurse makes a big production about saying, "Hi Karen, I'm insert-name-here and I'll be your nurse today."

But all I could come up with was the fact that this nurse was married on March 24, 1968 which seems like very strange info for me to have, eh? But when she verified my birthdate (March 27, 1965), she immediately volunteered her wedding date because they are sort of close. (Not really though.)

So I say this to the random nurse: "I have no idea who my nurse is, but I know she was married on March 24, 1968," and the random nurse starts laughing hysterically because she knows exactly who I mean. Turns out, Nurse Penny manages to work her wedding date into a lot of conversations. Such as, you ask how old her daughter is, and she starts by counting from her own wedding date.

My red blood cell count was 9.5.

Super Chemo went really well.

My next appointment is Friday, October 30, for another big CT Scan With Contrast. This is the scan to see how well the entire six cycles of chemo did at shrinking the tumors. I am very hopeful and enthusiastic because the results so far have been just fantastic. Then on Monday, November 2, we will decide what to do next: monitoring, clinical trial, or more chemo. Lou will be coming to that appointment to help make the decision.

To prepare for the decision, Dr Reidel gave me a lot of info about the clinical trial, but I will have to type that in some other time. I am overdue for a nap now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl, I have been home sleeping away the weekend with a stomach virus since Friday. I'm glad it has been overcast and rainy. I did not make it to the workshop, either. I didn't want to spread my germs around.
I'm glad you had a good visit with your friend. Laughter is the best medicine for what ails you.
It sounds like you have a very busy few days coming up- I will keep you in my prayers. My angel is still with you.
Talk to you this week.
Give Lou(ie) my best. Love ya.

Jane said...

Glad to hear the treatment went well...the nurse story was funny! We miss you on the van & maybe you will riding along with us really soon??? Take care! You're in my prayers. Jane

Daria said...

I can never remember the name of my nurse ... sometimes they will put their name on the IV pole.

Wishing you all the best with your next CT scan. Hope that chemo kicked some butt.

Gail T. said...

Hi Karen, That was a funny nurse story. You are often in my thoughts. We would love to see you guys sometime. Let us know when you are up for a Mimi's breakfast or Sushi!! Keep the positive attitude!! Love, Gail T.