Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl XLVI

I am always as old as the Super Bowl. So this year, it's Super Bowl XLVI, and I am XLVI years old!

Of course, at the end of March, I'll be turning XLVII.  Ooh, ooh, now that I am fooling around with Roman numerals, I realize that Lou is L years old.  Poor Lou.  L must be hell.

This is the calm before the storm. In about an hour, people will start trickling in.

We are completely ready. I have a cold, so I had nothing to do with any food prep. Actually, I had very few tasks assigned to me this year. Lou did almost everything. I was responsible for prepping the hallway coat closet. There are now 30 empty hangers in there, and all dust bunnies have been banished.

I'm hoping at some point tonight, Lou will take my picture, so I can update the photo on this site.

After I am done here, I think I am gonna have a quick lie-down. I don't want to run out of steam before the game is over.

So, here are some details about what I have been calling Option 3. From now on, I'm going to call it The RAP Study.  That's what they call it at Duke.  And Lou always pipes up with, "Wanna rap?"

It's a Phase I trial of the IGF-1R antibody AMG479 in combination with Everolimus and Panitumumab in patients with advanced cancer.

If you were counting, that is three drugs:

  • AMG479
  • Everolimus
  • Panitumumab

But I am getting only two of them. I am not getting the Panitumumab.  That part of the study will happen later.

At one point, I suggested to Dr R that maybe I should wait till all three drugs become available, and he said he's not that excited about the Panitumumab. He thinks it's better to get just the first two. (If you are reading this at some point in the future, and you are getting all three drugs, then I am sure Panitumumab is super awesome, and Dr R just said that to dissuade me from dilly dallying!)

Everolimus is a well-established mTOR inhibitor. The clinical trial is to see how well it works in combination with a new drug, AMG479.

I wonder why they are calling it "The Rap Study." Those three drugs don't spell RAP.  More like AEP, which is kind of un-pronounceable.

Yesterday morning, I started updating our shared calendar (which shows up on our mobile phones) with all my appointments. They have been coming in email from Duke. Paperwork, labwork, tests, scans, biopsies, yikes.  I was a little overwhelmed yesterday. Then late in the afternoon, I got this amazing email out of the blue that totally blasted me out of that funk.

I'll have to tell you more about that email after I reply to it.

So now I am ready for my appointments. Bring It On. This Rap Study might be exactly what I need to kick some cancer butt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have FUN Tonight!!! Thanks for the RAP update! Hugs from Bellevue, WA xoxo Sharon