Wednesday, December 23, 2009

After Dinner Mints

Yesterday I talked to my clinical trial nurse about how to take my pills on vacation.

When I told her Lou's first plan, which involved waking up every day at 6:00AM for a quick breakfast and then taking the pills at 8:00AM, she said that she thought that idea stunk.  "You don't want to have to wake up at 6:00AM every day on your vacation."

She loved the idea of taking the pills two hours after dinner. (That was Lou's second plan.)

She explained that it is okay to switch from 10:00AM to 10:00PM -- as long as I do the entire two weeks at 10:00PM.  It would not be good to do 10:00AM one day and then 10:00PM the next day because I would not have an even amount of the drug in my bloodstream.

So, my clinical trial drug will be my after dinner mints!

While she had me on the phone, the nurse clarified that I am not supposed to have anything but water for two hours BEFORE and AFTER I take the pills.  Yikes. I often drink coffee like an hour after the pills.

Lou pointed out that I won't be able to eat the chocolate that the steward will leave on my pillow every night.  I'll just have to save them for the morning -- or stay up really really late every night!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you and Lou have a wonderful vacation & the best Christmas ever!! We love you and think of you both often.

Gail & Eddie

Unknown said...

Have a fantastic vacation; eat, drink, and be merry!!! Merry Christmas you two, we love you and think of you all the time.

Gloria and Tom

Unknown said...

Ditto what Gloria said.